Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Post Process

So, this is a little different. I didn't have enough time to do a big post, and yesterday I didn't post a blog at all. Shame on me. So, today I thought I'd show you sort of a process of how I edit. I realize now that this would have worked better had I taken screen shots during the process, but I didn't realize I was going to do this till afterwards. So I apologize!

So this is the beginning image. I could see it had potential, I just knew I needed to put some time into it.

I took out the plant directly behind my grandma because I thought it was distracting.
If you notice the walker in the bottom left corner, it's sticking up in the frame so I removed that as well.

I made a copy of the post on the left side and flipped it so I could put it on the right side. I did this so it would look more symmetrical.
I brightened up just her, but I left the background as it was, because it has a sort of nice glow to it.

Then I Gaussian blurred the background so it was out of focus, and i sharpened just her, so she became the main focus.I'm sure now that i've explained it you can probably see all the little mistakes I made because you'll know where to look for them. but I just thought I would give you a little insight into how I do things.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do you get those colors straight out of the camera? for the starting image. do you use any color filters on your camera? what lens? great post!!!

Craig Norris said...

That's fancy! Definitely an improvement, Car Car!

Luis Munoz-Najar said...

you and your grandma are so amazing! love the portrait you take of her.

Carly Cram said...

dear anonymous,

I shoot with the 5d Mark ii, and this image was shot with the 24-70 f2.8

before I edited it in photoshop I took it into Lightroom. There I changed the white balance and then used selective colors to increace yellow as my highlight and purple as my shadow. After that I usually change the white balance and tint again just to make sure it's not too saturated in any color.

hopefully that's more helpful than it is confusing. Thank you both!

Carly

Lara said...

You make magic!