Wednesday, July 27, 2011

In my Place


Recently I was in Las Vegas for my sister's bachelorette party and while all the other girls were getting ready, I decided to take a self portrait. I was trying to pin point how I felt there in that moment. It's really a very strange place, and to tell you the truth, I hope to not go back there again, unless I am making a photographic series on it, or to remind myself why I don't enjoy it there. I really felt very strange, and very much like an outcast. This is the outfit I wore to a club. I realized when I got there that my dress wasn't short or tight enough. I wasn't wearing high heels, I was wearing boots. I looked like a flamingo in a coal mine. I remember having this same feeling as a child being at school dances, watching all the other girls look and act older than they actually were. It's like everything and everyone else was moving very fast and I just stood still being wrapped in time. Maybe that sounds a little too dramatic, but hopefully you know what i mean.

7 comments:

Bruce Barone said...

I love the photo!!!

Shoko said...

I know what you mean. And it's a great photo.

Lisa B said...

Great portrait!

BIKBIK AND RORO said...

this is beautiful, there is a real nostalgic feel to it. you look lovely.

cathy. said...

Wow this is such a beautiful shot. You did well in portraying your emotions!

xx

Denise Scaramai said...

Hi Carly!
your works are adorable!
great photos! congrats!
greetings from São Paulo,
Denise

cat @ flutterbymama said...

Hi Carly, just come across your blog and have spent a little time going through some of your older posts. I love your images and post production work on them. You have a beautiful dark expression that really sings to me. I'm a blogger who likes a white background but that comes from not actually showing my photographic background. I love the passion you have and sense of not belonging? It's really inspiring to find someone who's images speak to me and make me crave the passion for taking images every day. Having a child, time is something I lack to do the things I enjoy but maybe now he's starting school I really should push myself.

Thankyou for the kick up the behind...I needed it. : )