Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Making a Mold

Nathan Yu Kidikoro and I, over the summer, made some molds at Cypress College. This is sort of the process behind them. I just documented it in case people were interested. The images are a little out of order, because despite the fact that I am semi-computer savvy, and that I have been using this blog for well over a year, I still can't quite get down the order that it uploads in. So, you have my apologies.

I started with two vintage frames that I bought at a thrift store for a couple dollars a piece.
above are coddling boards, these are boards that look sort of like Ls, and you attach them with clamps.
Inside or the coddling boards is the frame that I want to mold, along with the clay.

I had to build the clay up to the sides of the frame, and fill any holes or undercuts, spots that the clay will get stuck in.
This is what Nathan was molding. It's a good luck symbol, supposedly. So, since he was making a two piece mold, he started with the front of the cat.
he built the clay up to the sides.
now it was time for the plaster. Once you apply the plaster to the water and begin mixing it, it is activated, and there is no turning back, this means you only have so long before it settles and hardens.
we each poured the plaster into our coddling boards.



It's usually good to pour at least a 1/2 in. thick above your piece.
here's the outcome of my mold. Now I can pour slip, liquid clay, into it and make as many frames as I want.



This is the second frame I molded. It's a convex frame.

once again I built the clay up to the sides of the frame.
Here's Nathan showing the island of plaster, This is how you know how much plaster-to-water ratio to add.
here we are pouring my next frame mold.
and the back of Nathan's cat.
Here is the back of Nathan's cat. if you look closely, you can see the dried plaster surrounding the cat, it's no longer clay. Now when we pour in the plaster on the back side, you'll have a two part mold.

here is the island of plaster.


I dont know if people think this is a boring post, if you think it is, tell me and I wont do it again. Also, let me know if you want to see more process oriented stuff.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

More process oriented stuff!

Che said...

wow thats awesome!

Ryan said...

Absolutely love this. Great great idea.