Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mary Bauer, Survivor of Auschwitz







Mary Bauer, a survivor of Auschwitz, recently spoke at Cal State Fullerton about her experiece during the war. Her story was moving and her attitude towards life is inspiring. Over the last two years I have become fascinated (not in a positive way!) with how human beings could do something so horrible to one another. Human cruelty is the thesis of my art (the holocaust, human trafficking etc.)

When Jeff, who attended CSUF at the time, told me she would be speaking, I new I had to attend! The room was full of people, in fact there were so many people and not enough chairs that half of the people were sitting on the ground.

Bauer, really moved me with her spirit. She is so playful and has such a wonderful sense of humor, and you wonder how anyone, who has seen the things that she has seen, could be so happy and lighthearted. She spoke of the horrific things she saw and felt, and how she tried ot make light of it.

It was an unforgettable experience. Mary Bauer is hope for the world.

3 comments:

Lara said...

Beautiful! I especially like the last photo.
Sorry I made you leave early!

Jeff said...

Beautiful post.

kiko said...

So many amazing people in the world.
You are lucky to hear her speak.